Monday, January 18, 2010

Florida? LA? The Greenbrier? New Orleans?

I'm trying to figure out where we should go for spring break. I was thinking of heading to New England to visit our families, but the snow and cold have me craving a warmer climate.

But here's the complicating factor. Most warm places assume you want to play golf or tennis or go to the beach or something. And mostly we're such geeks that the finer points of these delights are lost on us.

In former times we avoided golf and beaches by heading to Disney World, but the finer points of waiting in line are lost on me, if not on my daughter.

So, Los Angeles? We like it and have had a great time there. But we were there in 2008. Would it be better to go someplace different? And is LA too close to Disneyland?

Gasparilla Island? Sarasota? Too beachy.

The Greenbrier? Although I would love to bask in its over-the-top Dorothy Draper interiors, I'm a bit worried that going to one of these huge resorts would set our geekiness in sharp relief. I can totally see me playing iPhone games when I'm supposed to be working on my backhand.

Which leaves me with New Orleans. Pros: great food; lots of history; really different from Chicago; no golf or beaches.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment