Tuesday, July 24, 2007

It's almost Blogher

Why am I not excited?

Let's make this a multiple-choice question, shall we?

1. A conference for people who have only two things in common (they are women who blog) seems pretty stupid. Unless you're making it about a smaller subset of humanity (albinos who play electric guitar) you're going to end up with a very amorphous, heterogeneous mass of people.

2. I never bought the idea that women bloggers are marginalized. Hell, there are so many idiotic blogs out there, anyone who punctuates correctly should feel marginalized. And I do.

3. The panels have impossibly vague titles. So now we're going to have a large, amorphous, heterogeneous mass of female bloggers going to panels called "Blogging the Body," and I don't know about you, but that sets off my bullshitometer.

4. The Blogher website sucks. The conference information is buried over in a sidebar. This leaves me feeling confused and resentful. ("I gave these idiots money?") On the other hand, I have a good sense of humor, so I find the idea that someone running a website that shitty has the nerve to claim any kind of internet expertise so hilarious that I want to hang around and make sarcastic remarks about them. Although I don't want to hang out with them, especially when I'm sober. Speaking of which:

5. Breakfast and lunch are mentioned, but where's the alcohol?

6. All of the above.

On the bright side, I know I'm going to be hanging out with Blackbird, Susie Sunshine, and Jen Lancaster. But I don't need Blogher for that. I could hang out with them anyway. I don't need a reason to drink and blab with my friends. "The earth revolves around the sun" works just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment