Saturday, April 17, 2010

When retro heads to the dark side

You know, whenever a style is brought back, there are always the naysayers. Everyone's all, Oh no, the eighties! I can't stand padded shoulders (or leggings, or cobalt blue, or Big Hair.) Or I hate the 70s! Boo clogs and bootleg jeans. Or Say no to the Nineties! Grunge Must. Not. Return.

But I try to look for the good in every fashion revival. I'm glad we're over flat-ironed hair; I'm on record as saying I like clogs, and sheesh, some baggy 90s clothes would come as a welcome relief from all the muffin top I see every day.

But there's something from the 80s that I really, really, really didn't miss.



Just say no to drop temple glasses.

There's something so drab and cheerless about this style. To me, it's depressingly administrative-assistant-to-a-low-level-office-manager-circa-1982.

I realize I'm sounding like my mother. (Specifically, way back when The Great Gatsby was released and 20s styles were revived). But let's hope this style, being resurrected by ModCloth, dies a quick death.

No comments:

Post a Comment